Saturday, September 29, 2007

Morning Coffee

Now onto the towel. The folds in the towels and the edging add interest to the bottom of the drawing. The highlights pull out the folds nicely.

Now onto the wallpaper. I have no intention of drawing the intriquit design of the wallpaper, however, just an impression of the design has been rendered. I have shaded the top corners to draw the attention right back to the coffepot and grinder.

I might make some minor changes yet, but I think I just might be done!


I have added the burlap sack and coffee beans. The intent of my drawings is not to include every detail of an object, but just to give an impression of it. This holds especially true to the sack and beans. I have only given the hint of threads in the sack and the beans are more texture and shade than individual beans.


I have been able to get a little bit done this week on the coffee pot. I am using Arches Watercolor Hot press paper which has a much softer feel than the usual paper I use (Strathmore Bristol Smooth). It also scans with a very creamy color. I have not changed the image to a grayscale. But will shortly.

Still lifes really provide an excellent opportunity to explore different textures and the how light plays on different types of surfaces.
















I've been contemplating a still life using a coffee grinder for quite some time. Finally have found the right ingredients. I just picked up the coffee pot today, borrowed the coffee grinder from my best friend, Char, and made the burlap sack and filled it with Starbucks expresso beans. Found some material that looks like old fashioned wallpaper of the 1890's. I think I'm ready to start. Now I just need to decide what kind of lighting to use......



























No comments:

Post a Comment