Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Sketchbooks

Original Post: 7/25/2010

What's your favorite sketchbook? Bound, spiral, hand made, hybrid?
 
I guess mine is a hybrid. I have tried hard bound, spiral, moleskins. The biggest problems I have with any of them is the paper quality. So I've created my own using Rollabind (see attached image of my sketchbooks.)
 
There are a number of advantages.

  • They lay flat.
  • I can interchange any kind of paper, writing, smooth, rough, watercolor paper.
  • I can remove a page, scan it, and put it back in.
  • I can archive them to another book. I can add my writings and sketches together in the same book.
  • The rollabinds keep the paper snug so there is little smearing like the spirals cause.

 


 
What is the size of your sketchbook?
I have two now...5x7 and 9x11 (holds 8-1/2 x 11" paper)

 
What's your favorite pencil/pen you use when sketching?

 
2B .5 mm mechanical pencil

 
Do you carry a sketchbook with you all the time?

 
Depends on what I'm working on. If I'm trying out an idea or technique, I'll carry it otherwise I can go weeks without carrying one.

 
Do you have a mobile sketch kit? What's included?

 
I've got one that I made about 3 years ago. The moleskin is about 1/2 full. When I feel like dabbling in color, I get it out. Then I remember how bad I am at color and it gets tucked away again!
http://dwrightsketches.blogspot.com/2007/07/sketch-journal.html

 
How often do you sketch? Daily, weekly, never?

 
A couple times a week. Usually when I'm too tired to focus on my drawing, I'll doodle or sketch.

 
Why do you sketch?

 
Work out ideas, techniques, compositions.

 
What do you put in your sketchbook?

 
Sketches of landscapes, rocks, parts of trees, notes about topics for this group, ideas, shopping lists, scribbles and ramblings....

 
Do you keep your sketchbooks?

 
I keep the best ones. The rest are pitched.

 
Do you keep doodles in your sketchbooks?

 
Way too many doodles!! But they seem to clear the wandering mind.

 
Do you ever throw away or erase sketches?

 
Yes....garbage gets full of them....

 
How about some scans of sketchbook work?

 
My sketchblog is full of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment