Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Small Sketches

 

My blog has been neglected for way too long!  The last post was over 6 years ago.  Over the past few years, I have focused my attention to smaller drawings and sketches.  This collection is a sampling of these.  The smallest is approximately 1-1/2” x 2” and the largest 3-1/2” x 4”.  Using a smooth paper in a sketchbook called “Minimalism Art”, I am able to shade a background with graphite and then smooth it with a chamois.  Now the entire surface is an even tone base to start building up the darks, shapes of trees , textured grass and reflective water. A kneaded eraser is used to lighten areas of clouds or the sun.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Diana, I know you took a bit of a hiatus from art, but it's great to see your sketches, drawings, ideas and most importantly how it connects you to nature; the world through your eyes. I've admired what you do since the old Wetcanvas days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gavin! I’ve still been drawing as time permits. My blog is a unique way to share drawings and ideas with others without distractions/ads that have inflicted the Facebook platform recently. Drawing allows me to travel and explore beautiful locations with just my pencil. I tend to settle into sketching serene, quiet naturescapes that let me escape from everyday hustle and demands of the ‘day job’.
    You summarized my drawing experience well “how it connects you to nature; the world through your eyes”. When I get into the artist’s zone I can see the grass swaying in the breeze, feel the heat of the sun, and hear the birds singing as the scene emerges on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane. I've just seen your latest drawing; it's great to see your latest works here on your blog. I agree social media is a blessing and a curse, the less distraction the better.
    The way you describe your connection to nature, is just how I feel it. When you connect so thoroughly you eventually lose yourself and it feels like you're part of it (which indeed we are, but we tend to forget it due to our everyday lives). It's very soothing for the soul. Thank you again for sharing, and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete